Friday, October 30, 2009

Jennifer's Rate Growing Post

Hello Everyone! Today I will show you about ratios and rates. But fist I have to define them. (Sorry If he Picture is too wide! If you want to see the picture, right click, Properties, Look at Location, (For Firefox) (Address For Internet) Copy url and paste on a new window to see the full picture)


Ratio - Compares to quantites measured in the same units

Rate - Compares to quantites in different units.

Next I have to find out the difference between ratio and rate.
Well first of all, ratio only compares quantites in the same units. Rate on the other hand compares different units. So pretty much the difference is that, rate compares different units, and ratio compares the same units.

Now I have to choose a question on page 60 and answer that question. So I choose question 6.

6. Gina earns $78.00 for working 6h. Asad makes $192.50 after working 14h. Determine each person's unit rate of pay. Who has a greater hourly rate of pay? So now I know now that I have to find out which person has a greater pay in one hour. So I have to use a ratio table for this.





So Gina makes $13.00 per hour and Asad makes $13.75 per hour. Asad has the greater pay within one hour.


So now I have so do another question but this time on page 61. I'm going to do question 12.


12. The rate at which glaciers melt is increasing globally. The Saskatchewan Glacier near Banff has receded 1.5 km in the last 75 years. The Peyto Glacicer shown below receded 1320 m from 1923 to 1993. Which glacier had the greater annual rate of melting?


So the first thing I need to know is that I have to find out the years for the Peyto Glacier. So i've did 1993 - 1923 equals 70 years. I'll do a ratio to show you what i've did.





So for the first ratio is the Peyto Glacier. Their unit rate is 20m per year. The second ratio is the Saskatchewan Glacier from Banff. Since the 1.5km didn't work so well, I had to convert it into km. (that would be 1500) And that worked! So the unit rate for this is 20m per year.


And Finally, I have to make up a question using a rate. Which that may be hard.


So my question is.. At Seven-Eleven, there are 3 diffrent sizes of slurpee. The 250ml/small slurpee cost $1.00. The 500ml/medium size slurpee cost $1.50. And The 1000ml/Large size would cost $2.00. Which Slurpee size is the better buy? Show your work!


So this question reminds me of that Salsa question I did in math class! So the first thing I've did was... I have to find out the unit price for each of these Slurpee sizes! So I drew ratio tables!

So now that I've had found out their unit prices, I find out which of them had the lowest unit price. (Which would be the Large one) So The Large Slurpee would be the better buy is because it have the lowest unit price!

Part 2
These are the Grade 8 ingredients for Spaghetti Sauce. This recipe serves 4 people.

1) What would the recipe look like if it had to serve 10 people? Show your calculations.
So at first I didn't really get it on how you like turn teaspoons into milliliters until I found a site that tells me about it. Or I divide everything by 2.5

3.75 lbs ground beef
2.5 medium onion diced
2.5 celery finely sliced
2.5 cloves of garlic
35 oz can of tomatoes chopped
3.75 can of tomato paste
2.5 tsp parsley
3.76 tsp basil
2.5 tsp oregano
2.5 tsp sugar
1.25 tsp Worchester Sauce
1.25 tsp Seasoning Salt
2.5 Bay Leaf




2) What would the recipe look like if you had to only serve 1 person? Show your calculations.

0.375 lbs ground beef
0.25 medium onion diced
0.25 celery finely sliced
0.25 cloves of garlic
3.5 oz can of tomatoes chopped
0.375 can of tomato paste
0.25 tsp parsley
0.376 tsp basil
0.25 tsp oregano
0.25 tsp sugar
0.125 tsp Worchester Sauce
0.125 tsp Seasoning Salt
0.25 Bay Leaf


Thank You For Reading My Post Stay Tuned For My Next Update!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

Statcounter

Calculator





powered by math calculator at calculator.net

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP