An alien has landed from another planet. He is a scout for his planet. They plan on taking over the earth.
1) David can saw a log into three pieces in 7 min. If he continues sawing at a constant rate, how long will it take him to saw a similar log into six pieces?
-It takes David 7 min to saw a log in 3 pieces, and they want six pieces, so easy, all you have to do is times 7 by 2 and times 3 by 2. Then you have the answer. 7min x 2 = 14 mins, 3logs x 2 = 6 logs and there you have it.It will take him 14 minutes.
2) A small gear turns 18 times in the same time that a large gear turns 4 times, how many times will the large gear turn if the small gear turns 54 times?
- 54 divided by 18 = 3 , so 3 multiplied by 4 = 12 .
The larger gear will turn 12 times by the time the small gear turns 54 times.
3) Last night 30 cm of snow fell in 6 h. If it continues snowing at the same rate, how long will it take for 45 cm of snow to fall? Determine the answer two different ways.
- First way , find half of 30 , and half of six, easy! 30 divided by 2 = 15 cm , 6 divided by 2 = 3h, add that to what we have and we got , 45 cm in 9 hours.( 30 + 15 = 45 cm , 6 + 3 = 9 hours)
- Second way , Dividing 45 by 30 = 1.5 , then dividing 9 by 6 = 1.5 , so you multiply 30 and 6 , and you get
45 cm, in 9 hours.
NOW WE STOPPED THE ALIENS , YAY!
Thanks for reading!!! :D