Sunday, November 1, 2009

Chantell M's Rate Growing Post

What's up guys? Doing well? I hope so. Halloween candy can do some scary stuff to people, am I right? So here we are, my first growing post, and I gotta say I'm actually excited for it.
So Mr. Harbeck said we need to define these two lovely words:

Ratio: Compares two quantities(or amounts, values) that are measured in the same unit.

Rate: Compares two quantities that are measured in different units. (blue word = important)

The difference between the two is rather simple once you look at it. (It doesn't matter if you don't wnat to look.) Ratio compares quantities of the same unit. Rate however compares amounts of different units. See that? Hooray for you. I'm clapping my hands. No really I am.

Harbeck also wants us to choose a question from pages 60 and 61.

Question for page 60:

12. The rate at which glaciers melt is increasing globally. The Saskatchewan Glacier near Banff has receded 1.5 km in the last 75 years. The Peyto Glacier shown below receded 1320m from 1923 to 1993. Which glacier had the greater annual rate of melting?

Saskatchewan Glacier: 1500 m÷75 years= 20 m/year
Peyto Glacier: 1320÷70 years= 18.86 m/year
So according to my calculations, the wonderful Saskatchewan Glacier has a greater annual rate of melting.

Question for page 61:

10. Trevor rode his mountain bike 84 km in 3 h. Jillian rode 70 km in 2.5 h. Who is the faster cyclist? How do you know?

Trevor: 84 km÷3 h= 28 km/hour
Jillian:70 km÷2.5 h= 28 km/hour
Neither of them is the faster cyclist. Both rode at 28 kilometers per hour. (Fast people aren't they? Uh don't anwser this, unless you want to.)

So one more thing before I go my lovelies. I need to revisit our dear old coinmath again. Great eh? I thought so. I need to come up with a question that can be solved with rate, so here I go. Off into the unknown, or rather known because - well you know. Okay on with the math now.

If the jar holds 400 coins, how long will it take to fill up the jar if you place one coin in it each day? (Inspired by the one and only Warren Kaminski. Is that how you spell his surname? Oh well)

one coin/day=400 days(Or one year and 35 glorious days of grueling work and smelly hands.) The answer is obvious because the jar only holds 400 coins.

I hope I don't come across as a know it all with my posts. I'm just trying to make you guys laugh. If you think I'm funny thanks, if not oh well.

Please comment if I made any mistakes. (You can also tell me if I am funny or not. Your choice.) Bye! No seriously - goodbye.... Here we go again.

Oh, so you're back now. Weee... So I suppose you want part two right? Okay here it is.

1) What would the recipe look like if it had to serve 10 people? Show your calculations.

3,75 lbs of ground beef
2.5 medium onion (diced)
2,5 finely sliced celery
2.5 cloves of garlic
35 oz can of chopped tomatoes
3,75 can of tomato paste
2.5 tsp of parsley
3.76 tsp of basil
2.5 tsp of oregano
2.5 tsp of sugart
1.25 tsp of Worchester Sauce
1.25 tsp of Seasoning Salt
2.5 bay leaf

I doubled the original recipe and put in decimals. Then I halved the original recipe and added that to the doubled recipe. Since the recipe serves 4, I guessed havling the amount of ingredents needed wouls serve 2. Doubling the recipe would increase the serving to 8 and adding that to 2 would serve 10.

Now if it were for only one person, I would divide the already halved recipe and that would probably give me the amount needed to make a potion for one.

0.375 lbs ground beef
0.25 medium onion diced
0.25 celery finely sliced
0.25 cloves of garlic
3.5 oz can of tomatoes chopped
0.375 can of tomato paste
0.25 tsp parsley
0.376 tsp basil
0.25 tsp oregano
0.25 tsp sugar
0.125 tsp Worchester Sauce
0.125 tsp Seasoning Salt
0.25 bay leaf




I hope I didn't confuse you with my loopy reasoning. I have to go. Bye!



No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

Statcounter

Calculator





powered by math calculator at calculator.net

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP